Yes, you read the title correctly...I said s'mores cupcakes!
I seriously started to drool when I found this recipe. Sounds like the perfect way to transform one of my favorite all-american camping treats into an elegant treat that could be served at a wedding or bridal shower.
Happy Fourth of July! :)
makes about 24 cupcakes
Recipe courtesy of keyingredient.com
For the graham cracker crust:
- 1 and 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 and 1/3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
For the cake you can use box mix chocolate cake.
Follow directions on box to prepare mixture then set aside.
For the frosting:
- 8 large egg whites, at room temp
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2) Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter with fork. Drop about 1 tablespoon of mixture into the bottom of each cupcake liner and press down to line the bottom.
3) Sprinkle a small amount of chopped chocolate on top of the graham cracker crusts. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
4) Prepare cake batter according to box directions.
5) Fill liners about 1/4 way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, rotating pans halfway through cooking. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes then remove and transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.
6) To make frosting, combine the egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in the top of a double boiler. Heat mixture, whisking frequently until it reaches 160 degrees with an instant-read thermometer.
7) Transfer mixture into bowl. Whisk starting out slowly then gradually increasing until stiff, glossy peaks form. Mix in vanilla until combined. Frost cupcakes as desired.
8) Brown with a kitchen torch. Garnish with Hersey chocolate.